Thursday, May 29, 2014

French Open--what they said

Have you done a Tennis Channel bag check yet?
No. I’m a little nervous. I’m not so tidy either, so I’m hoping they don’t do it.
Ajla Tomljanovic

I think she's one of the fastest players on the tour.
Jelena Jankovic, referring to Karumi Nara

The whole environment made it difficult to calm myself down. I got too psyched up, too into the moment. I didn’t calm my adrenalin, couldn’t calm myself so I could play my game in that environment.
Alison Riske

She stopped hoping her opponent would beat herself. Instead, she started encouraging her opponent to set herself on fire....Then she figured out how to light the match and start the fire herself.
Louisa Thomas, writing about Simona Halep

I have been playing her the last three Grand Slams, and the person she lost to in the last three Grand Slams was me. You know, hopefully in Wimbledon we don't play against each other. I hope not.
Jelena Jankovic, referring to Nara

The moderator in interview Room 3 had to leave and come back with a box of tissues for a sobbing player. Not always fun, tennis.
Ben Rothenberg
 
I think it's very French. I love it.
Jelena Jankovic, referring to her (very French!) dress

2 comments:

bill said...

Louisa Thomas is a great sportswriter. I've thought that there is something of Henin in Halep, but Thomas added some value when she invoked Djokovic.

Diane said...

I had the same reaction, Bill! Halep has made me think of Henin more than once, and the Djokovic reference resonated with me, also. (Novak and JJ remind me of each other, too, because of the "rubber" factor.)