Saturday, August 2, 2014

Petkovic reaches Stanford semifinals

Andrea Petkovic continued her upward climb yesterday with a 6-1, 3-6, 7-5 victory against Venus Williams in Stanford. There were eleven breaks of serve in the match, which lasted just under an hour and 50 minutes. Top seed Serena Williams had to go three sets against Ana Ivanovic, but Williams prevailed, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5. Ivanovic continues to impress, and maybe this time, her fans can breathe a little easier when they think "comeback."

Angelique Kerber made short work (not many do, these days) of Garbine Muguruza. Kerber will play Varvara Lepchenko in the semifinals, while Petkovic will have to face her second Williams sister in a row.

At the Citi Open in Washington, DC, Kurumi Nara will face off against Marina Erakovic in the semifinals. In the quarterfinals, Nara and Erakovic defeated on-the-rise Kiki Mladenovic and Bojana Jovanovski, respectively.

I haven't been around here much because I lost a fight against what seemed like a thousand choking vines on a small fence in my yard. Somewhere in there was some poison ivy, and--though I had an immunity to urushiol for many years following extreme childhood exposure--I'm now very sensitive to it.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Triamcinolone to the rescue!

sunny nine said...

Hope you feel better!

Diane said...

I have some Locoid, but haven't needed it since the shot kicked in. Poison ivy is never, ever, ever a source of something "good," but you know how it is when you get a steroid shot--other things clear up, too.

Now I just look like a fool who went out on a fishing boat for 10 hours and didn't wear a hat. I don't go to my office until Tues., so maybe by then I won't scare anyone :)

Thanks!